Ipanema’s Homemade Bloody Mary Mix
On August 4, 2015
- 12 cups of diced ripe tomatoes and juice
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 3 stalks of celery plus leaves, chopped
- 2 fresh roasted hatch green chiles (or 4 oz canned green chiles) (optional)
- juice of 2 limes and 2 lemons
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of grated fresh horseradish or prepared bottled horseradish
- 2 to 3 tablespoons gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Hot sauce (such as Sriracha), to taste
- 1/4 cup pickle juice (spicy pickle juice is super good)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cups of vodka
- Rim Seasoning: kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, smoked paprika
- Optional Garnish: olives, jalapeño stuffed olives, pickled green tomatoes, lime wedges
- Make Fresh Tomato Juice – Place chopped tomatoes, onion, celery, and roasted hatch chiles in a blender or food processor and puree. This will likely need to occur in batches. Pass the pureed mixture in batches through a food mill or through a fine mesh sieve, capturing the juice in a large container. You should have about 8 cups of tomato juice. (Alternately to using a blender, you can use a juicer and juice the tomatoes, celery, shallot, and chiles).
- Make Mix – Add lemon juice, lime juice, grated horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, and celery salt to the fresh tomato juice. Add hot sauce, salt, and fresh cracked pepper to taste. (To can and preserve the Bloody Mary Mix, see canning instructions below).
- Assemble Drinks – Mix 1 tablespoon each of salt, ground black pepper, and smoked paprika on a small flat plate. Dip the rim of each glass in water or lemon juice and then dip the rim of each glass in the paprika-salt mixture and twist the glass. Fill each 8 ounce glass with ice to the rim. Pour 1 ounce of vodka and top off with bloody mary mix in each glass. An extra splash of hot sauce and pickle juice tastes grand. Be sure to swirl around all the ingredients using a spoon or chopsticks.
- Garnish – Top and garnish the drinks as you wish…with limes, lemons, jalapeño stuffed olives, hot sauce, pickled green tomatoes, pickled green beans, bacon… ya bacon. It’s endless possibilities.